Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • W&G irons, Standard treadle machine, and ? cabinet? >
  • W&G irons, Standard treadle machine, and ? cabinet?

• W&G irons, Standard treadle machine, and ? cabinet?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM

I'm home. The machine is as expected-complete, moves freely, very minimal rust, and happily had been removed from the case for transport. The case top is in a bit worse condition than expected, but the lift mechanism "elevator" seems interesting. The case was tied shut when I picked it up so I didn't try the lift. I met the seller in a parking lot. The treadle moves very freely. The irons stop at the bottom of the case- right at the top of the pic I showed. I hoped at least one went up into the case so I could compare them with the W&G irons I've seen in pictures. There is some light rust on the irons but they are the brownish bronze color. A full tin of attachments- yes Georgiaclark- including the chainstitch spider. Have you tried one? I had to look that up- how interesting that a straight stitch machine can be adapted to make a chain stitch. If I recall correctly someone posted a "what is it" a few weeks ago for what now know was a bent chainstitch spider. I had guessed it was something from A Clockwork Orange! All in all- not bad for $25 and a road trip including 2 quilt shops- where I was Very good and only bought a few FQs, and a very small Twister template. Now to get some help moving it into the house. Thankfully I can just back up to the front porch and roll it out of the Forester. My nephew just groans when I ask him for help. I had him help me carry 6 treadles upstairs last year to be worked on "Someday". He Still hasn't gotten over the fear of physical labor! I'll work on the machine this summer.
    Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 PM

I would love to have one like yours. I have 1 drawer, that's all. This is going to be spectacular when you're finished. Please post more pictures when it is completed. We would love to see it.
    Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 AM

Thank you all for the encouragement. I guess the irons are original- after a Lot of googling I found the same Standard cabinet, machine, and irons in an auction picture- I think it was Worthpoint.com. Still think there is some manufacturing connection with W&G. I need to figure out how to clean the light rust off the irons without hurting the patina. Any ideas?