Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Warning:  Not Vintage, but the Weird Machine has arrived. >
  • Warning: Not Vintage, but the Weird Machine has arrived.

• Warning: Not Vintage, but the Weird Machine has arrived.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 PM

Joe, I'm checking with a source near me...he has a machine graveyard that MAY have this machine. Will let you know if the machine is there...then you can talk to them. Susie
    Old 04-12-2013, 03:55 PM

Cool. I'll be checking with my LSMG too either tomorrow or Monday.

Joe
    Old 04-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Yesterday (4-27-13) we made a trip to our LSMG for some Singer parts, and maybe a motor for the Kenmore. He looked at the motor, then the shop manual and picture I'd made and said: "I've got one of those upstairs". He went up to get it and it was identical to ours. It also had a cover, all the accessories, a good bed, and an owners manual. Whooo Hoooo!

When we got home we plugged the donor machine in to see what would happen and it squalled. Not sure why, wasn't the motor, but it didn't run worth a hoot. And then .... the key pad completely died.
    So we pulled the motor out and I checked it over. Virtually no cracking like the other motor and the brushes made better contact. There was what I thought too much end shake to the armature, but after breaking the other motor I wasn't about to try and take this one apart.
    I set it on it's end and put SM oil in the bushing areas.

Then proceeded to prep the original machine for it's new motor.

When I took the original motor out, I didn't see the adjuster screw and like I've done on soooo many other machines I popped the big wheel above the motor off to get the belt off. Second big mistake. There is several parts to this wheel, including a coil spring that works with the bobbin winder. Arrrgh! So last night I had to pull the upper shaft out to reassemble the main shaft. Elaine was very helpful doing this. And in little time we had the whole thing back together.
    When I took it apart I had marked the belts and pulleys so I could get it back together. I got all the belts back together, the new bed on, the motor in, all connections tight and plugged it in. Whirr, clunk, click, the needle bar moved over and the key pad light up.
    Yayyyyy!!!!!!!!
    I told Elaine and she said, did you thread it up and sew with it? Nope, not yet.
    So down to the basement we went.
    Threaded it up. Put a bobbin in it, properly threaded as per the manual.
    And .... and ..... and ..... groan ..... it wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread. Sigh it looks like somehow, the needle bar is now 180° out from the bobbin hook. NUTS!

Well, now I'm pretty sure since the needle bar is belt driven that it got out of adjustment when I bumped it while I had the top shaft out of it. I'm pretty sure the belt for the lower shaft went back on the way it come off, and went back on the needle bar drive end the way it came off. This pretty much makes me think I knocked the needle bar assembly out of whack cos I didn't mark that part. Duh, where's my sign.

So, we're almost there. The replacement motor works, the key pad is good, and it goes through it's functions. All I need to do is get the needle bar timed up.

Joe
    Old 04-28-2013, 03:15 PM

Joe...great work. The God's were with you to find the motor and for the screen to work. You're almost there...
    Can't wait to see it work!!!
    Old 05-02-2013, 02:55 AM

Most exciting thread I've read in ages!! Can't wait to get the latest Joe. What a cool machine and a cool guy to go to such great lengths to get it going again.
    Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 AM

frudemoo,

Hopefully I'll get the machine up and running today or tomorrow. I've just had a bunch of things get in the way.

Joe
    Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 AM
    Power Poster

Hope you get it running the way you want it to run!
    Old 05-02-2013, 06:42 AM

​Joe does NOT give up. It will run or else!
    Old 05-02-2013, 06:58 AM

I've never seen one like that before. Cool!
    Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM

RANT ON:

I am livid!!!!! I really can't say how I feel on here without incurring the wrath of the moderators.

I got it running. Got it timed. Started it up and got it to make ducky patterns, ZZs and straight stitches. Then I told my wife and she came down and we tried monograms and some of the flower patterns. They weren't working properly and I figured I"d use the trouble shooting in the manual and get them squared away. Then for some reason only known to her she decided to ignore the programming sequences and started pushing buttons out of curiosity. Well all that did was confuse the computer. Boot it and we're back in business.
    Until ..... she pushed on the reverse button, held it down, then hit the controller and it made a horrible gritching crunch from inside.
    Now it won't feed in the patterns. It will do SS but nothing else, it just makes a short attempt at the pattern and then stops feeding and makes a big tack.

I hope nothing is broken inside that monster. If it is, it's toast. I've got a lot of time in it and to have this happen is more than I can stand at this point. I walked away. I'll look at it tomorrow, or in a week or so ... maybe.

Rant off.

Je