Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Went sewing machine shopping today .... what a bunch of junque >
  • Went sewing machine shopping today .... what a bunch of junque

• Went sewing machine shopping today .... what a bunch of junque

Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 PM

I was on my bus today and was talking to my neighbor who inherited property from a horder, mentioned my quilting hobby and he has a old Black singer in a case in working condition for $40.00 I said Ill take it. will post pics and info when I receive it. you guys are a bad influence! Does this make me a member of the crazy vintage people?
    Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by nitza
    I was on my bus today and was talking to my neighbor who inherited property from a horder, mentioned my quilting hobby and he has a old Black singer in a case in working condition for $40.00 I said Ill take it. will post pics and info when I receive it. you guys are a bad influence! Does this make me a member of the crazy vintage people?
    We collectors are not crazy Nitza. Speaking for myself, I collect them for their beauty, functionality, they are NOT throw away pieces of junk and I can fix them myself. But you have started down the path of being a VSMC aka Vintage Sewing Machine Collector. Be warned that you will find that one is not enough.
    Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 AM

Sounds like I am not alone. People are asking so much for machines up here its ridiculous. I don't even bother to ask if they are negotiable on price~they never are. They always say "well they sell on eBay for this much". Yeah well eBay is not the final word and machine prices are what people will pay for them. I have learned that people are putting a sentimental price on their machines.
    Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 AM
    Power Poster

I try to price a machine I put on CL gauged on condition and how much I have in it + labor. Usually not too unreasonable. No matter how low I price a machine, there are people who think my price is ridiculously too high or people that think they are stealing it because it IS so low and they are scared to buy it - I never seem to win. If I'm a little high at least they won't have to take it for repairs any time soon. They don't see it that way I guess.
    Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 PM

We just inherited a Singer 15-91 and its cabinet last week. Also found a Singer 66-18 in a cabinet while rummaging today. Would you be able to tell me roughly what these are worth? The lady with the 66-18 was unsure of her price and asking $70. Thanks so much!
    Old 04-28-2012, 01:51 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by eastsunvb
    We just inherited a Singer 15-91 and its cabinet last week. Also found a Singer 66-18 in a cabinet while rummaging today. Would you be able to tell me roughly what these are worth? The lady with the 66-18 was unsure of her price and asking $70. Thanks so much!
    What did you do vaccinate yourself with a sewing machine needle? It is catching isn't it. Price is all according to condition and what you are willing to pay in my book.
    There are people on this board who think everything has to be bought at a very low price.
    If you were to buy a new machine it would cost more than that.
    If you have to work on that machine it is going to cost you more than that or else you are going to have to work on it. Has this person refurbished the machine? If so you shouldn't have a service fee in the mix.
    Are you able to service the machine yourself?
    How much do you ever have to deal with this person again?
    Do the 66-18s do reverse? You might have to pay more for a class 66 that does reverse than one that doesn't.
    What comes with the machine? Are there any attachments? Those can be a real sweet deal.
    You can try offering less money and see what happens.
    Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 AM

I'm laughing.. Yes, you never know who might have a machine that is collecting dust.. I might have to find a couple of machines.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed... I'm having my staff come over, as I am making five of the same scrap quilts as a unity project... but actually, I'm hoping at least one of them will catch the quilting bug.. I'm willing to set them up with a machine from my "stash". and other quilting notions, etc.. I have a couple of extra machines, and part of the fun of having the machines is being able to buy more, and fix them up, and make them usable... I tried getting my sister in law, and the assistant at my dentist's office into quilting, without luck..
    Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 AM

What Miriam said about prices.

Miriam, yes, the 66-16 & 18s do reverse. That's why I like 'em as much as I do.

Joe