What a beautiful machine!

Old 08-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yobrosew
On the sleek, black Kenmore what are the two knobs next to the left of "Kenmore"?

As to "You mean we are suppose to sew......." I would seriously like to have an entire wall all sewing machines, tightly packed and going in all different directions. That is my idea of art. Room dividers built with sewing machines would be cool, too; especially if all different colors and bling from the sixties.
Oh no you don't - I already do --- never thought about the room divider though. Maybe we could turn them into a closet wall...
Old 08-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yobrosew
Welllllll, After giving birth to nine children I think I might not be a man?! I DO also like the pretty lavender blingy machines, too. Ugh! Is this what they call a gender crisis? Miriam, thanks for the offer, but I can't start adding to what I just purchased (treadle) and the electric 60's with cams I am looking for (the latter has to be pretty low priced as the former got the bucks.) I will probably wake up in a cold sweat that I turned it down, only to fall back asleep and have dreams of everything in my life is that machine.
Sorry about that, you're the exception!

Cari
Old 08-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney
Actually I like that style of White and Kenmore, especially with the bullet shaped cover on the hand wheel. They may not be for everybody but who cares? White came up with some really different designs over the years.
Heres one I found from possumjimandelizabeth.com. I hope they don't mind my borrowing it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]489488[/ATTACH]
Here's a link to their site where you can see more.
http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht...ng_white2.html
Rodney
Well it does have more curb appeal... er... maybe the godzilla has curb appeal... putting on the curb appeals.......
Old 08-29-2014, 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=yobrosew;6865320]On the sleek, black Kenmore what are the two knobs next to the left of "Kenmore"?

Those are dual tension assemblies.

I am with you on the wall o' machines. I think they're art. Especially Whites -- they had the best designs.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:49 PM

I see that you've just found a GREAT mid-century classic machine. Good on you, man!

I find most of my machines on craigslist, although I've found some at thrift stores and a few on eBay, though I avoid eBay because the shipping charges are so high. I tend to drive around the immediate Seattle area and North, sometimes to Bellingham. You're in Lewis County and there are lots of good machines in the Olympia/Lacey area that I've passed on because I'm not willing to drive that far (depending on what they are, of course) and traffic on 5 or 167 is always a pain. Although, I've purchased a few in Tacoma and Puyallup, one in Lacey, etc.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:05 AM. Reason: language
Old 08-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll
I see that you've just found a GREAT mid-century classic machine. Good on you, man!

I find most of my machines on craigslist, although I've found some at thrift stores and a few on eBay, though I avoid eBay because the shipping charges are so high. I tend to drive around the immediate Seattle area and North, sometimes to Bellingham. You're in Lewis County and there are lots of good machines in the Olympia/Lacey area that I've passed on because I'm not willing to drive that far (depending on what they are, of course) and traffic on 5 or 167 is always a pain. Although, I've purchased a few in Tacoma and Puyallup, one in Lacey, etc.
I'm in Oly and I've driven as far south as Longview and as far north as Mount Vernon. 4 years ago I worked it out so I picked up a machine in Gig Harbor, then Woodinville and then back down to Puyallup in the same day. It was a long day and I'd have to be going after something really special to do it again.

Cari

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:06 AM. Reason: language in quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:53 PM

I've driven as far south as Portland (never again) and I actually considered one in New Westminster before a friend urged me to get a hold of myself and try to break the addiction. I had the shakes for about a week.

Yeah, with gas prices as they are and traffic so bad in this region, it would have to be a great machine in order for me to go to that much trouble. I did an Arlington, Sultan, Redmond loop once. Beautiful trip and my car was full of loot.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll
I've driven as far south as Portland (never again) and I actually considered one in New Westminster before a friend urged me to get a hold of myself and try to break the addiction. I had the shakes for about a week.

Yeah, with gas prices as they are and traffic so bad in this region, it would have to be a great machine in order for me to go to that much trouble. I did an Arlington, Sultan, Redmond loop once. Beautiful trip and my car was full of loot.
My trip to Mount Vernon I had to take a trailer.
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but you want to talk about having the shakes? I did last night after I went to get up from the computer and caught this out of the corner of my eye-[ATTACH=CONFIG]489627[/ATTACH]

It was right above my head! To give you an idea of it's size, those aren't the tiny Christmas lights on the left of the pic, they're the normal size lights. I'm not afraid of spiders generally, but this one spooked the bejeezes out of me!

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032098.jpg  
Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 PM

Yep, that's a big one. Looked like he was ready for blood.

I bought a machine from an eBay seller and when I opened the box and lifted the machine from the based (it had no lid), a family of spiders crawled out. They did not survive.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 PM

That's a nasty looking one. I hate that sort of surprise. Every now and then a big wolf spider will find it's way into the bathroom. They get up around a 2" legspan and are FAST. It's my job to kill them.
I don't care how good they are at bug control. They can stay outside.

Back to the sewing machines, I really need to start being more selective. That last one was too pretty to pass up and I didn't have a good representative of the style. There are a few more I want to get though.
I want some of the earlier electric designs.
I want a Hamilton Beach motor conversion, brand not important, and at least 1 or 2 examples of early potted motor types. It probably won't happen due to costs but I'd like at least one or two pre-1900 machines from before the modern shape we're used to seeing was settled on. What I'm aiming for is at least one representative of each of the different styles of machine up to now, preferably with some of the cool engineering and designs they've had over the years.
Rodney