Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • What can anyone tell about this Elna? >
  • What can anyone tell about this Elna?

• What can anyone tell about this Elna?

Old 10-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Got the top off. Beautiful under the hood! Almost pristine except for the base of cams has some rust spots that I have cleaned off since picture taken. Looks like never used. There was a bunch of netting sort of material all in the bobbin area and around feed dogs; wonder if original owner did this early on and thought the machine was working right and then years later passed onto neice?? Who knows, but it looks like all is well. Uh, except for the needle position wheel, which may have a small crack. With time and patience it does move now but not without effort. Makes me think it tipped over sometime in its life and landed on this little wheel and jammed it. Underneath is clean, clean, clean also. We found some more red holes for oil and manually the needle was moving much better. Thus we plugged in again and my, oh, my. This baby does not need servicing! Cleaned the cabinet up and in good to excellent condition. I just am in awe. Check out the belt in the picture; flat nylon (?) with metal bands that fit in gear-like slots.

And, Just realized the sewing store/dealer twenty miles away is......drumroll........an Elna dealer and service center!
    Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender-2-.jpg  

Last edited by yobrosew; 10-12-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    Old 10-12-2014, 05:50 PM

Very nice!

Seems like a lot of the Swedish machines have belts like that. I'm sure others do as well, but I have only seen it in them.
    Old 10-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by NapaJohn
    You can squirt a little liquid wrench on that screw, let it sit for a while, and then try it. You're lucky in getting that type of handwheel. Mine has a circlip fastener (no screws) that is awful to both get off and back on...easily lost when it sproings loose. You can join the yahoo group "elnaheirloomsewingmachines" and then go to the files section and download the service manual for the "Star Series." There are also some instructions on the foot controllers. That should help. I will also caution you that if you remove the bobbin case there is a tiny spring that reportedly springs out and is easily lost. I've been hesitant to take that apart for that reason but mine is sewing fine. I did see a CL add for one for a "bargain price" of $150 because they took the bobbin assembly out and couldn't get it back together.

You got a great deal.

If you're unsure, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get it serviced and the service guy would replace that screw and know what to check. You could also try oiling it first and see if it improves.

A good source for parts (and information) is http://www.whitesewingcenter.com/index.php
    Ray White also teaches sewing repair workshops in various locations and is reportedly very good.

Good luck and enjoy your new machine.
    Thanks for the info about the Yahoo Group!
    Old 10-12-2014, 11:21 PM

Default Elna

I had this machine and traded it in as I thought I needed a "computer type machine"--I didn't get much for it and I had purchased most of the cams. Live and learn. I was able to purchase it through a discount store--it was top of the line--and I paid for it with money I made typing papers for college kids.
    Originally Posted by Candace
    It's one of Elna's best machines, the 62C. Google it and there's a ton of info out there. It takes cams but has several built in stitches. Make sure the foot control is there as they're pricey to replace. They also have a couple of nylon gears so make sure that it works before purchasing. If it's a "give away" price I'd buy it even with issues as the parts are available. I love mine and have caught and released many. I always sell them very quickly.
    Old 10-12-2014, 11:23 PM

This brings back such great memories--the case is also an extension table--I was so sorry I traded it in for the Elna Quilter's Dream as I could never get that threader to work right and I sold that machine.
    Old 10-13-2014, 02:56 AM

About that stuck needle position wheel -- not unusual. Great youtube video on how to unstuck it. (DH has said it looked like hardened or at least pretty stiffened grease was blocking its movement. He was correct, I see. He never looked under the hood of a sewing machine before but knew right away what it was...and only one pin drop of soft grease showed anywhere. Can't wait to show him he was correct; who doesn't like to hear when they are right, eh?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqrbimZyP1U
    Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by MarleneC
    This brings back such great memories--the case is also an extension table--I was so sorry I traded it in for the Elna Quilter's Dream as I could never get that threader to work right and I sold that machine.
    I still have waves of grief and regret about giving away a perfectly-great-condition Necchi Julia SuperNova 100% complete with cabinet, documentation, and attachments. It pains me more now to think of it as when I passed it on I had no idea how great it was; took her for granted. Now I know different.
    Old 10-13-2014, 03:13 AM
    Power Poster

Yobrosew, maybe someone will be foolish and put it up for sale on CL or Shopgoodwill or ebay and you will get lucky.