Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • What did I bring home and how do I kill it? >
  • What did I bring home and how do I kill it?

• What did I bring home and how do I kill it?

Old 04-30-2014, 09:05 PM

Ron,

This is a very pretty "Saxonia" style transverse shuttle. I have a real weakness for Saxonias. Congratulations.
    I hope you find a solution for the Worm problem.

Originally Posted by Vridar
    Well, I'll join the discussion. I received my D. Bagle Rue Du Bac Sewing Machine today and it has powder worms. I opened the package and a powder resembling powdered cinnamon was everywhere. Pulling the machine out I noticed the tell-tale pinholes in the platform. I immediately returned it to the container and took it outside on the driveway. Contemplating my recourse, I decided the wooden slab the machine is on is not worth the hassle with the seller. I was, and may still, contact the seller about my disappointment but only to state my dissapointment. The platform is 1 inch walnut or mahogany with inlay. I was interested in having the original platform, but can live without it. I reexamined the eBay picture and the pinholes are pictured, if one looks closely and is expecting something like worms, but the seller did not disclose the damage in the description. I've had more disappointing eBay purchases but each time I assure myself it'll be the last as I don't have time, nor want to take the time, to negotiate and pre assess every eBay bid. It's just easier to swear off eBay.

This is my first experience with powder worms and I thought it ironic we have a current topic on it.
    [TABLE="class: img img500, width: 500"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Old 05-01-2014, 05:36 AM

The listing claims it was a parts unit.

I've seen those holes in my lifetime but it's the first time I have ever heard about these critters. Good to know and watch out for.
    Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 AM

I believe from the pix of the key, that it is a key to a Featherweight case, as I have one that looks same.
    Old 05-01-2014, 06:51 AM

I believe from the pix of the key, that it is a key to a Featherweight case, as I have one that looks same. Am sorry you lost the cabinet--it would have been gorgeous once cleaned--but the beetles had to go!
    Old 05-01-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid
    I believe from the pix of the key, that it is a key to a Featherweight case, as I have one that looks same.
    Thank you. It is an interesting key. I didn't see a featherweight on the property, and I asked specifically if there were any sewing machines. That would have been a nice find. I would love a featherweight some day!
    Old 05-01-2014, 07:25 AM

The key has a square end on it, yes? It's likely a cabinet key. The featherweight keys I have here are flat. The UK keys are rounded (like a skeleton key) and have a hole in the barrel part.
    Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 AM

yes, it has a squared end. I might have seen one in one of the treadle cabinets in the garage but I would be hard pressed to figure out which one!
    Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Christy,

I guess I didn't make it back soon enough but I had an idea.

My idea was to put the cabinet after removing all the hardware and machine in a tent of sorts and use a bug bomb you get a Wal-Mart to fumigate the cabinet. Those bug bombs are designed for a much larger area so the insecticide would be extremely concentrated in the small space around the cabinet.
    It was an idea that just popped into my head not long ago.

Joe
    Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki
    Ron,

This is a very pretty "Saxonia" style transverse shuttle. I have a real weakness for Saxonias. Congratulations.
    I hope you find a solution for the Worm problem.
    Thanks for the information, Cathy. I'm anxious to have time to peruse what I have. Meantime, your reference to Saxonias gives a starting place for study. Maybe, me being oblivious of the worm problem gave me a bidding advantage over those whom knew the wood had worms.
    Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    Ohhh! Those big inset handwheels just make my heart go pitter pat!!
    I would contact the seller. The base is pretty integral to the machine because of that dished out area. If it was sold as "whole" it isn't if you take the base off it. Just saying you're displeased is likely fairly pointless. The seller likely won't change their ways unless it reflects poorly on them.
    Tammi - You're correct in that I should do something, but, I've been accused of being a push-over for all my life. There is a threshold when crossed I am anything but a pushover. This doesn't cross my threshold. However, thanks for your concern. I'll let others correct the seller. I'm a believer all get their dues. I'll chance mine being the pushover.

Edit - Tammi, I've responded to the seller of the powder worms.[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: qn"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: qn"]Additional information:
    "Did you not know the platform had Powder Post Worms? There was nothing in the description indicating a problem other than an area of the enamel is missing. There is nothing about the platform being destroyed. Giving credit, close examination shows platform pinholes but someone like myself not familiar with powder worms, has no idea what it shows. I'm going to give negative feedback indicating the problem. You indicate no refunds, etc. I'm taking you to your word and no expect anything, but reserve the right to give negative feedback indicating you shipped powder worms into my home. "
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited by Vridar; 05-01-2014 at 10:14 AM.