Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • what do do about strain relief-Singer motor >
  • what do do about strain relief-Singer motor

• what do do about strain relief-Singer motor

Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 AM

I'd be concerned with how the ties will hold up after a few years of heat from motor and the unforeseen. I personally wouldn't take this chance and would use a proper strain relief method or just replace the motor. Someone down the road can possibly get hurt if we don't fix up the electrical on these machines properly. My 2 cents and will step down from soapbox

Jon
    Old 05-04-2014, 06:40 AM

I can understand your concern and appreciate all input Jon. I am just learning and finding my way along this road. So, I wonder if all zip ties are created equal or whether some are better suited to high temperatures? How hot do you think it gets in that area?
    Old 05-04-2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    There is no way for me to get an underwriters knot in there. I struggled with the clips for awhile but that was no use. I eventually went with zip ties. They weren't hard to put in and I think they'll work.
    I use those also. They didn't have em in the old days...most likely no ones gonna flag it unless there is a Concours exhibition like classic cars somewhere. What I like is, they don't conduct, they don't unduly stress the insulation, they are simple (like ME) and they work. I usually put heat shrink under em, where it passes to the outside world.
    Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Zip ties have been around for decades in the automotive and electrical industries. I've found them in electrical heaters, fans, kitchen appliances, and they are even used in the furnace of our house. I myself have used them under the hood on many many vehicles where heat is concentrated. I have never had one melt or degrade to the failure point, or react with the insulation on wiring.
    Sewing machine motors do not get as hot as the engine area of a car or truck. Zip ties are not made from plastic but of some sort nylon.
    Granted they are not OEM, but I seriously doubt they'll ever be a problem.
    I'll try them the next time I need a stress relief in one of my motors.

OK, now I'll join Jon and get off my milk crate. ( I'm too fat for a soap box )

Joe
    Old 05-04-2014, 07:33 AM

Joe--

Milk crates degrade, I've fell through several. Give me tried and true lumber !
    Old 05-04-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
    Joe--

Milk crates degrade, I've fell through several. Give me tried and true lumber !
    Jon, my milk crate is from the 70s. It's made of steel. I think I have two of them and several plastic ones. I don't step on the plastic ones. I've had a couple of them fall apart too.

I think what it comes down to is nothing is impervious to degradation. Some things like iron and steel will last so long we think it's impervious, but it really isn't. Other things ... plastics and rubbers for instance are sure to degrade. Nylon and other forms of polymers are longer lasting, but even they don't last forever.
    The zip ties discussed in this thread, will probably last longer than the cord insulation they are wrapped around.
    That's why I don't find it objectionable to use them.

OK, now I'll step down off my steel milk crate.

Joe
    Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Christy,

I honesty don't know what kind of shape these ties will be in say 10-20 years from now. I'd just prefer to err on the side of caution. I suppose my reasoning is I wouldn't wire my house using these as strain relief and wouldn't do it on my machines either. If you believe the ties to be safe than by all means use them.

Jon

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    I can understand your concern and appreciate all input Jon. I am just learning and finding my way along this road. So, I wonder if all zip ties are created equal or whether some are better suited to high temperatures? How hot do you think it gets in that area?
    Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 AM

If you pull against a cable, til something gives, a steel clip will cut thru and short. a nylon zip tie wil let go. Everything is a compromise.
    Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew
    I use those also. ...I usually put heat shrink under em, where it passes to the outside world.
    And I should have done that just for abrasion resistance coming out of the box. Thank you for reminding me. I am still such a newbie.