What's so great about fw 221

Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Lots of FW's here in the Salem area for around $200 -- most of which are on the Goodwill site. I bought mine from a co-worker for $200, and got all the attachments, original book and the works for $200. It was built in 1937, and I named it Rose. These machines are little workhorses besides being full of character. I love all the art deco details on mine.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 PM

I know what you mean about the prices for a Featherweight 221 not being consistent. I think sometimes people hear that a Featherweight 221 is a valuable antique just like some treadles and think they should ask for the moon and will get it.
I bought my little Featherweight maybe 10 years ago and paid $170 but it has a rough case and no accessories but it did have a vintage manual. I think it was fair as I wasn't interested in the attachments because I just want to take it to classes that just need a straight stitch.
Hope you find a machine that you can afford soon it is a lovely machine and I think you will enjoy using it.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:20 PM

I lucked out on my FW. My son went by the Good Will store -- since he was a sewing machine mechanic for 14 years, he spotted the machine right away -- it's white (1954) and he bought it for me for $50. It is in mint condition, no scratches, etc. and it really sews nice!

Hope you find one. Anyone who's asking $1,000 for a FW is smoking something!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 PM

I just saw my first FW in person the other day. They're cute little machines and I know people love using them but personally to me they are so small they're almost like toys. I would be more inclined to find a 3/4 size machine like a Singer 99 or Singer 301 for less than half the money and have a larger machine to sew on. Yes they are heavier but I think it's worth the trade off.
Rodney
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack
Maybe, but I'd try to make a weekend out of it or something. That would be about $90 in gas for me, so it would have to be a pretty good machine.
i know. i am trying to control myself and justify my driving there but i doubt it that my wife will let me drive there. if it's about 2 hour-drive it might be really worth it. but i don't think i could find a better deal than this. machine is working and nice.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 PM

I really like mine for piecing, paid 250 for it from a retired Singer mechanic and it was oiled, lubed and tested with a new (crappy plastic, but still) belt. All my others have wider feed dogs so I have a harder time getting a 1/4" seam. I avoid antique dealers who sell them because of their supposed value and then overprice and wonder why they can't sell it. Oftentimes they don't know squat about the machine either so you're on your own. Did the $1000 come with a penguin walking foot too? That's about the only way I'd dare to even consider that one and I'm not sure I'd consider it, even then. Wow.

Last edited by trivia42; 12-02-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney
I just saw my first FW in person the other day. They're cute little machines and I know people love using them but personally to me they are so small they're almost like toys. I would be more inclined to find a 3/4 size machine like a Singer 99 or Singer 301 for less than half the money and have a larger machine to sew on. Yes they are heavier but I think it's worth the trade off.
Rodney
Rodney, I like my 301 better too - actually I Love my 301 better! The 301 is only a wee bit heavier and transports to class well. Plus she is wonderful for FMQ. The Featherweight is a cute and fun machine, but it would be difficult to quilt a larger quilt on it. I recently gave my FW to my daughter and she is over the moon about it.

Ro - if you decide you want a FW, one thing you could do is to set up an eBay search for a FW in your price range. That is what I did and it took awhile, with a lot of not so great machines, but finally a 1945 scroll plate beauty showed up in near mint condition with all the attachments, manual, and case for $225.
In our area people are very clued in to what they are worth and some are dreaming of riches when they have them for sale. My SILs attend estate sales regularly and have seen 221 FWs ranging between $300 to $600.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 AM

And remember, just because someone asks $1000 for one, does not mean they will get it! You can ask anything you want, but finding someone dumb enough to pay it is another matter altogether!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 AM

I have 3 FW (paid $300, $200 and $275), two are black and the last one is the white/green. I also have 2 301s (paid $80-case in good condition, and $85-with table). All but my 1st FW I found on Craigslist. I love all three and am contemplating hosting an evening group for some ladies who work. They want to learn to quilt. I thought if I had my machines set up, they could just come from work and get started. If you are interested, keep your eye out on ebay. Maybe borrow a FW and/or a 301 to try them out and see which one works best for you. (by the way, my DH has NO CLUE I have this many machines! Those FW are easy to disguise! lolol)
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 AM

I watch Craig List, and have found 4 of them, for less than $100. One was $4, but it needed a lot of work. None are great, but all are useable. Usually they are ads from people who realize that the condition of theirs won't bring top dollar, or they spell wrong, (search for "sowing" and "singer") sometimes they are just at a yard sale