What's so great about fw 221

Old 12-03-2013, 10:04 AM

Quite the tension rig there, Steve. Does it work?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Banned

oops, wrong pic. that was the tension that it came with (weird but functional)

here it is with the correct tension restored.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449739[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-09-30-07.06.13.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ro
vmaniqui will they ship it to ya. they could bring it to ups and they will box it up.
i tried asking my friend if he can get it for me but schedule is not working out. i will try if i can convince the seller to ship it for me as you know people are all aware about this nigerian scam that he might think i am one. wish me luck as i really want to get this FW. can't and we should not pass up on a good deal.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 PM

I too wanted to add a 221-1 to my collection, but the price stopped me cold! Well recently my sister scored a 221-1 from a friend of hers that went through hurricane Katrina. The case was trashed, but the machine was above the high water mark and only suffered from a little oxidation. My b-I-l cleaned and oiled it and it seems to be fine. All attachments and the case was lost to the flood. This 221 was given to my sister for free. Now I collected a few machines since 1968 and was visiting a friend who said he had a few old Singers & Adler machines so I went by there a couple of weeks ago to check them out and before leaving, his wife said she wanted to show me a little singer that she had in the closet upstairs. When she reappeared with a little black case, my heart skipped a beat or two and I exclaimed WOW!!! that's a 221-1 fw Singer. She asked how I knew and I said I have seen hundreds on e-bay and wanted one, but was reluctant to purchase one. She did not sew and indicated she would sell it too me. I asked how she acquired it and here's her story-Her granddad purchased it in Dec. 1948 while in the air force and gave it to her grandmother for Christmas 1948. It was passed to her mom in the 60's and then to my friend about 25 yrs. ago. Neither she or her mom sewed and the machine was stashed in the closet. When I took out, it looked as though it just left the factory. Well, I thought about it for a few days and went back with an offer. I said that I would not buy it and I would not accept it for free. She looked puzzled by my statement and said why? I told her that I would like to place it in my collection on loan from her. I said it will be on display until the day she wanted it back. Also I would use it on occasion. She was totally in agreement. I went to my notary friend and drew up an affidavit to those terms. In the event of my demise, my heirs can't sell that machine and must be returned to her. They may dispose of all other machines at their discretion. I felt that she must retain ownership of this machine. The manual looks as if it was never read. It also has the original buttonhole attachment. The machine was made Oct 10, 1948 and when I told her that, she said that was her mom's birthdate. Kinda spooky.

Rodney
Ponchatoula, La.
AKA-soman2
Old 12-03-2013, 04:48 PM
ro
Banned

vmaniqui i'd be up all night thinking about it. i know me. good luck. hope you get it? but i dont know what the nigerian scam is????? please educate me.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ro
vmaniqui will they ship it to ya. they could bring it to ups and they will box it up.
my friend couldn't pick up the FW and I tried asking the seller if it can be shipped to me via UPS and he didn't want to. I guess I have to wait for another good deal on a FW. I even asked the seller if I can just mail my payment and just hold on to the machine until I have time to pick it up. But not an option for the seller too.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM

Gosh I love reading what you all have to say. Steve your little machine is a gem and you are right, it is cuter. It never ceases to amaze me how expert some of our QBers are - CD's comment is just what I mean.

Rodney, your story about the lady's 1948 221 is wonderful. I love your solution and that this machine with its history will not be lost to their family!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ro
vmaniqui i'd be up all night thinking about it. i know me. good luck. hope you get it? but i dont know what the nigerian scam is????? please educate me.
I tired and convinced the seller to ship it to me or I can send my payment and he can hold on to the machine until such time that I am able to pick up the machine but he said nope. So no FW for me. Just hope there's an easy way.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH
sorry, but your Featherweights will never out-cute this machine!

No reverse but hey.. no power cord or foot pedal to worry about either!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449726[/ATTACH]
What an awesome machine!!!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 PM

I have two red S FW222's that I didn't pay that much for. One is in almost perfect condition and the other is very nice. The scratch on the bed of this one advertised is deep. One thing about having a super nice one is then I won't use it because, I love pins and end up using my beat-up $50 FW. Another thing about this ad that really bothers me is there is no physical address or phone number. Who the heck is this seller? I always say beware of Internet ads, that don't provide full disclosure…I'd like to know who it is because they have a velvet attachment box that I lust for, but super high priced.