Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Where to get a belt for my treadle? >
  • Where to get a belt for my treadle?

• Where to get a belt for my treadle?

Old 12-05-2021, 07:33 PM

I ordered the belt and hopefully will be at my doorstep soon. I went through Central Michigan Sewing. I need a 1/4" foot for my 401a so I added that to the order as well. I can't wait!

Thanks again for all the suggestions! This is a terrific forum.
    Old 12-06-2021, 08:34 AM

Cuttting a belt is easy. Punching or drilling it, not so much The dang things want to roll on you as you are holding it. Use pliers to hold it and don't let your hubby get lined up with pokey things, or he could experience self acupuncture. There is a specialty tool for this job. Wawaks has them around $50.00 I think. Mine came with a machine and it works wonderfully for cutting , holing and punching.

pic below

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...181-622077.jpg
    Old 12-17-2021, 05:12 AM

To answer the unasked question about fit of the belt: you want it loose enough to treadle without the belt slipping. Too tight, and the act of treading becomes an exertion.

You can always cut it a tad shorter, but you can't cut it longer.
    Old 12-26-2021, 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the information and advice! I received my belt, but I got distracted with Christmas projects and just got back to this project. I have the new belt on. We were able to make the hole with a small nail. The ruler stand my hubby made for me a few years ago had 3/8" in sized grooves so we were able to use that to keep the belt from turning. He made the hole with a small nail.

I have been trying to use the treadle (unthreaded and no bobbin). It woks great when the balance wheel is disengaged. When I engage the balance wheel and turn it with my hand, everything seems OK. However, when I engage the balance wheel and use the treadle, I can't keep it going, and seems to have a lot of drag. Does it just need some oiling? If so, do I use the normal sewing oil machine that I use for my other machines? Is the belt too tight or too loose?

As always, any help or advice is very much appreciated.
    Old 12-26-2021, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
    Foggy, ... There are instructions about installing a belt at https://www.treadleon.net/sewingmach...eadlebelt.html
    ETA there is a good post about how the belt is supposed to ride in the pulleys at Treadle users: how often do you replace the cord? most domestic machines use the 3/16" belt.
    Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Did you follow the instructions from treadleon? Please note, a couple of things, such as one should stretch the belt before putting it on and not to get it too tight.

Oiling might help, but it is quite possible the belt is too tight. With the belt off and the hand wheel engaged, can you 'flick' the hand wheel and have it make a couple more revolutions?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Old 12-27-2021, 10:34 AM

agreeing with Janey here. On striaght stitcy Singers I expect 3 revolutions with a flick of a handwheel on a non belted head.
    time for more oil eveyplace steel touches steel.
    Old 12-27-2021, 05:15 PM

Success! I took the machine out of the cabinet and oiled it everywhere I could find. Got as much dust and dirt out of it that I could. When the take up lever was at the top of the stroke it was a bit stiff. It doesn't meet the flick test yet, so I may have work on it somemore. But I will practice treadling and see if I can get it to meet the flick test.

Thanks for all the help! Couldn't have done it without you!
    Old 12-28-2021, 07:05 AM

be sure and oil under the bobbin slide and the feed dog movements. Also behind the faceplate. WELL DONE.