Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Where's a good place to sell some of my vintage machines? >
  • Where's a good place to sell some of my vintage machines?

• Where's a good place to sell some of my vintage machines?

Old 11-17-2013, 04:49 PM

Not much interest here in old sewing machines but on the other hand some tremendous bargains can be had. Sewing machines need to be shipped out of my area to sell at prices above what I pay (very little). If I had a bunch of featherweights the story might be different.

Jon
    Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Craigslist is such a pain. I make offers for the full price most of the time no response. I made responded to one yesterday stating it was a fair price and I would pay the full price offered....after they told me the brand. I figured I would hear back again today...went to crags list today and they upped the price by 200.00 - i really hate no knowing who I am dealing with and how sleazy some people can be.
    Old 11-18-2013, 03:58 PM
    Power Poster

When you respond to a CL ad you need to make it VERY clear that you are not a spammer - write a new title to the email and then make sense when you answer. Leave your phone number and let them know you will pick it up asap. I don't know if there is any place you can respond if they up the price or not. That's weird. Usually it is hard enough to get one sold....
    Old 11-19-2013, 03:39 AM

The item was a babylock serger. They must of gotten a lot of responses because they were asking 500.00 which is the highest price I am willing to pay for a used one. They upped the price by 200.00 once I offered to buy. Nope...I figure if it is meant to be I will fine one at the price I am willing to pay. I am in no hurry, just want it to make pillow cases. I could have bought one at that price a few months ago a few towns over, I kick myself for not getting it then. My husband thought its a waste of money since he does not think I will use it. I have a serger now which I am too lazy to learn to thread it. I did take a few on line courses so I may just do that.
    Old 11-19-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    The item was a babylock serger. They must of gotten a lot of responses because they were asking 500.00 which is the highest price I am willing to pay for a used one. They upped the price by 200.00 once I offered to buy. Nope...I figure if it is meant to be I will fine one at the price I am willing to pay. I am in no hurry, just want it to make pillow cases. I could have bought one at that price a few months ago a few towns over, I kick myself for not getting it then. My husband thought its a waste of money since he does not think I will use it. I have a serger now which I am too lazy to learn to thread it. I did take a few on line courses so I may just do that.
    I bought a serger, I took it out of the box and when I saw all the threading mess, I promptly put it on CL and sold it. I do not have the patience for it. If you have a sewing machine(s), look to see if one has an overlock stitch. Most modern machines do, that is all you really need to make pillowcases. You could pick up a new Brother or Janone(sp) for less than $200, just make sure it has the overlock stitch and the overlock foot. Just a thought, that is the solution I found to the serger issue and thought it might help you.
    Old 11-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Competing with the spammers for the attention of sellers can be a real chore. I try everything I can think of to let the seller know I'm real, and about 1/2 of the time that I get no response, I see the add updated several days later.

Though a time or two I've tried again and found that a previous deal fell through.
    Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    Competing with the spammers for the attention of sellers can be a real chore. I try everything I can think of to let the seller know I'm real, and about 1/2 of the time that I get no response, I see the add updated several days later.

Though a time or two I've tried again and found that a previous deal fell through.
    I almost didn't answer an email I got yesterday - it turned out very well though. I would prefer they send an email with a new title. A new title tells me they had to put more effort into it. Better yet a call.