White Rotary Model 43..

Old 07-23-2024, 10:04 AM

Smile White Rotary Model 43..

The WHITE Model 43 was my mom's machine when I was growing up and it is the machine I learned to sew on. It holds a special place in my heart, and somehow my non-sewing older sister got mom's machine, a beauty and in beautiful condition. After grousing about that for decades I decided to get one of the sister machines to my mom's, and found one. So I just pulled it out of storage (long story that involves still living in a house after 20 years that, when we moved in here, we agreed it would be for just five years... oof.) Anyhoo, I have her home and just barely have enough room for her. I haven't named her yet, but I may name her after my mom (Nellie). Here's my problem. The power cord is cracking in the many spots where it was coiled back and forth in a figure eight. So I have to find someone who can replace that - IDK if DH (dear husband will be willing because he doesn't approve of my messy life.) Too bad so sad. But I digress and won't go there. I can check, clean and oil her up (she is in fairly good condition overall). Birdseye Maple cabinet is a bit banged up but I can live with that for now. I just need to find someone nearby I hope who can fix the electrics. She plugs in / light works fine but her workings are a bit stiff and she just needs a good cleaning and oiling. Her electrics work but with several several cracks along the cord that makes me uncomfortable and I'll get it repaired as fast as possible!

Venerable old gal, I'll be excited to sew on her soon! #Nellie
I've added photos in my album, though I'm not sure I've done that properly.. I'm not getting it about tags yet. Hoping a Mod will let me know if I've goofed up . Thanks Mods, for being here!
Thanks for teaching me to sew, mom. #SewingBug #TheJoyOfStitching #AntiqueMachine #NewOldMachine #LoveSewing

Last edited by mims; 07-23-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2024, 05:46 PM

Can't help with repairs but this brings back memories. I also learned to sew on a similar machine.
Old 07-24-2024, 03:48 AM

I'm not familiar with White machines, as I've mostly worked on old Singers. Singers usually have a "plug in" of some sort that alternately goes to the wall plug and the foot controller.

In many cases, the end that plugs into the sewing machine can be taken apart, as that end is screwed together. Once you unscrew that, you can easily replace the wire with wire (or an extension cord) from the hardware store or Home Depot.

If I didn't feel comfortable doing that or the sewing machine end doesn't unscrew, I would look at the sewing machine parts websites and see if I could buy a new one. White machines are fairly common, so that might be possible.

The last thing I can think of is to take the cord to a sewing machine repair person. They will usually give you an estimate of the cost or a lead to finding what you need.

Janey will come along and might have some additional ideas.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 07-24-2024 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2024, 01:31 PM

Can you post pictures of the power cord?