Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Windsor B damaged in transit, should  I push to return it? >
  • Windsor B damaged in transit, should I push to return it?

• Windsor B damaged in transit, should I push to return it?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 AM

That would just make me plain sick. What do some people use for brains? Years ago, I won an old 66 head for $23 and I can't remember how much the shipping was, but that machine arrived so well packed, I had a hard time unpacking it, I mean it was tight. Then you win a machine of some great beauty and shape and it is tossed in a box to rattle around and break. No justice at all.
    Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    If you contact ebay - you may find that the seller has to pay for ALL of the shipping. This is not very clear in most of the literature - but I've found that it is the case many times. Of course the seller isn't going to volunteer the information. And the seller may not even know - eBay rules aren't the easiest thing to figure out.
    Do you mean the 1 way or both ways? That's helpful information, do you have a link? thanks for this info!

Anyone have a National motor like that, that doesn't work, and is otherwise junk?
    Old 01-03-2014, 06:27 AM

My experience has been - if the seller misrepresents the item - then they pay shipping BOTH ways,

If you change your mind and the seller accepts returns, you pay shipping both ways.

When damaged in shipment - I've actually never returned anything damaged. I always worked a deal out with the seller where I got a discount I was happy with.

I don't know if eBay has a firm policy on this - I think they decide each case by it's own merits - as to if it got damaged due to poor packing or not.

If I were you - I'd make a suggestion to the seller. Decide what you'd be happy with and tell them that you will be happy to accept $XX as a settlement. If they don't like it, you can escalate the case. If eBay says you must return the item and pay return shipping, you can always decide that it's not worth it and keep the item instead.
    Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew
    A work to the wise, make sure to communicate about shipping and insurance ahead of time. I was in too big of a hurry.
    Insurance wouldn't have helped. One look at how it was packaged and any claim would be denied. It doesn't matter what shipping agent you use, all of them have rules and fine print for specific regs. on how to package and what materials to use.

The one time I received a machine worse off than this via an ebay sale, ebay sent me a return shipping tag and covered the cost. However, I'm not sure they're still doing this. The machine I received was damaged in shipping of course, but was sold as works great and the listing photos didn't show the bare wiring(I'm certain it would have caused a fire or zapped me) and the fact that the machine was almost hollow on the inside! Someone had ripped out a bunch of parts from the inside(also not photographed). So much for works great! The seller told me it had worked great when it left her house and it was buyers like me that made her not want to sell anymore and I was scamming the system to get a free machine. LOL. She got her "works great" machine, back!!!
    Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 PM

I recently got a BLUE machine from ebay.........when it got here, it had been very poorly packaged....the box was in pieces, the motor was torn off the machine, the spool holder was bent 45', the foot pedal was missing, there was no cord to plug it in.......I CALLED EBAY for advice......they told me that I needed to email the seller, to tell him what all was wrong, and that I had consulted with ebay and that I was (per ebays orders) DEMANDING a total repayment of all of my expenses, and that the seller would then also be paying for return of the item....they told me that ebay would pay for the return IF the seller refused.......I did all that, and the email back to me said he was just SO sorry..that he would refund everything to me (He did) and that he did not want to pay for shipping it back, that I should just keep the machine.....so.....I got my money back and I have a non working BLUE WIZARD sewing machine..it is actully pretty and I would love to fix it, but think it would be way too expensive (rewiring, missing parts,etc)
    Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Give it a try but keep your expectations low to zilch. My son bought a coffee table through eBay and it was damaged in transit. The seller insisted on shipping it on a Greyhound bus. No joy from the seller, even to get the shipping back, no joy from eBay and Greyhound - get this- won't let you see or inspect the item until after you sign for it so if it comes out with a problem, you've already signed off on it and there's no joy from Greyhound either. Good luck!
    Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 AM

As you can see, I'm already rather attached to it, so I offered back to the seller if they'd give me 1/2 of 1 way shipping, let's call it $20, I'll use it to buy a parts motor. We both come out okay in my book. It's fun cleaning her up! And she stitches nice. attachments are a little odder than I thought, not same as my New Home. but close...
    Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM

They said they would rather I return it and then they'll refund me. I've already got hours of cleaning and polishing into her. I guess they figured I'm just trying to get money out of them? Even though they're offering the refund, somehow I'd rather not give them a good rating,
    Old 01-04-2014, 01:39 PM

Seller doesn't sound reasonable to me---the motor is obviously kaput and $20 seems fair compared to the alternative of returning the machine cost plus round trip freight. Personally, I'd return it through ebay and write off the cleaning and polishing as a learning experience.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 01-04-2014 at 01:54 PM.