You all did try to warn me...

Old 08-14-2019, 02:24 PM

Miss MiniQuilts, I'm 90 and DH is pushing 92 in Oct. I can't keep him indoors. He is a workaholic, and I try to keep up.LOL I had 30 machines, but gave 4 to a church gal to teach young girls to sew. I may have to give more. I have worked on preachers wife's machine and 4 or 5 more. Several have given their machines. They don't sew. I love to work on them, but I haven't wired any yet, and have to learn from someone.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:17 PM

What's the old saying "we're only as old as we feel"? I've always liked that thought, and thankfully am feeling younger now as I'm getting older. Sounds silly, but had several medical issues when I was younger that literally made breathing hurt -- now my Lucy and I enjoy romping outdoor, working with wood and making/rehabbing the dollhouses in our outdoor shop, and apparently we both are really enjoying the finding good deals on old sewing machines and shining them up!

I love that you and your husband are both doing so much, and more importantly enjoying it!
Old 08-15-2019, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by miniquilts
....She didn't come with the feed dog cover -- ...
I will be picking up not one but two 201's next week. Both are missing some pieces, though one does come in a lovely light/blonde colored wood cabinet. Woman stated she was just trying to clean out her basement and wanted them gone. I already dated the one in the cabinet to 1950, and the other one to 1948. ...
Yes, it is a slippery slope.

The 348 didn't come with a feed dog cover. It did have a "raising plate" that was put under the needle plate to raise it up so the feed dogs didn't come above the needle plate. Evidently there are two numbers that would work for the 348 - either 161894 or 98008. I'm wondering if https://shop.sew-classic.com/Feed-Co...nes-P60402.htm would work?

I'm going to guess that the 201s are probably "201-2" which have a potted motor and are very good machines. Sew-classic probably has some parts for the 201-2s as well as the feed cover.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-15-2019 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link
Old 08-16-2019, 11:36 AM

Good news! The lady I'm getting the 201's off of next week found the "missing pieces"! They are definitely the 201-2, and I'm looking forward to getting them here in the shop to work on and clean 'em up.

I do realize the 348 didn't come with a a feed dog cover right off, but they did have the option way back when. As I got Miss 348 from Goodwill, I was just amazed she came with the extras she did. Added note she does run, and actually quite well -- but I am still taking her apart to clean her up as there is a good bit of caked up grease etc in her interior.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:38 AM

*If you can't tell, I love researching. lol I'd already bookmarked Sew Classic as a good site as well as a few others, but thank you so much for sharing that!