Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine) >
  • You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine)

• You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine)

Old 02-08-2014, 05:33 AM

Finally I see a Leader. I have one and the decals were so worn I couldn't read the name.
    Old 02-08-2014, 07:05 AM

Cathy,

I have a pair of 99Ks just like yours. One has the single stitch length plate, the other has the double plate. Never could figure out why the difference. They are very close in age and made in the same place.

Joe
    Old 02-08-2014, 07:20 AM

From what I understand, the “Red Dot Indicator” (double plate) was a new innovation by Singer to help the operator more easily see the precise stitch length that the lever was positioned at.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 02-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Red Dot??? I didn't see the red dot, I'll have to look closer at mine. It's probably worn off.

Joe
    Old 02-08-2014, 08:07 AM

I think it was 1956 when the “Red Dot Indicator” began. The stitch length indicator (pointer) was added to the Singer 401A the same year, as far as I can tell. I think it’s interesting that the Singer 301A continued to be made without any additional stitch length indicator (pointer), and continued as far as I can tell, for the length of its run to 1957. Maybe they already had decided that the 301A production would end the following year?

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 02-08-2014, 08:47 AM

CD,

I'll have to go and check mine. One is from 1954 and the other 1955.

Joe
    Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 AM

My two newer 99's are a 54 and a 56. I've got too much stuff piled on top of my cabinet right now to go look for the red dot.

oh - I guess I already said that LOL!!
    Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 AM

I just checked my pair of 99Ks. One is a 1954, the other a 1955. The 1955 has the dual grove stitch length plate. And I was right, the red dot is worn off. Next time I get a bottle of red paint handy, I'll put a new dot on it.

Joe
    Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Here's my National Reversew Rex badged Grand X. My DD has already staked her claim on it, and she's only four! (Cute counts A LOT for little girls!) It seems to work well, but just recently got it, so I haven't had much time to get acquainted. The lady I bought her from only used the cabinet as a side table, assured me it didn't work, and even had told her friend there was no foot pedal. Well, we moved it to an outlet, plugged it in, and I opened up the front. The lady gasped as she had no idea it even opened, and lo and behold there was the knee lever! Even before I went to see it I asked for pictures of the front of the machine, and had to tell her which side that was. Anyway, it's in a better place now and well loved already (and yes, the first thing I did was take off that pin catcher! Love seeing all these machines!
    Attached Thumbnails p1040600.jpg  
    Old 10-05-2015, 07:16 PM

Very nice! Congrats on your machine! Check out this blog. http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/reversew.htm Zorba has a lot of great info on National machines.

I've determined my 3/4 size Montgomery Wards machine is the Expert B/T. Mine doesn't have the snazzy Art Deco cover on the nose. I'm up to 3 National made machines, all Montgomery Wards brands. The Expert B/T is a Brunswick, my full size rotary is a Damascus and the Streamliner that MacyBaby gave me is Montgomery Wards. I want a Reversew Rex too to round out the set. It also doesn't help that I have a real weakness when it comes to anything Art Deco.
    I just finished rebuilding the rubber drive wheels on two of my Nationals. If you need help with yours just PM me.
    Rodney