Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Rhubarb Recipes >

Rhubarb Recipes

Rhubarb Recipes

Old 06-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Thank you!
Old 05-02-2024, 04:22 AM

Thanks as I have strawberries, raspberries and rhubarb out there growing, here in Iowa.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:55 PM

Oh, no. My rhubarb is just starting to come up! Have to wait a bit to make anything.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:38 AM

I love ginger rhubarb muffins. Here's a link to the recipe I use: https://www.food.com/recipe/ginger-r...muffins-126662
Old 05-04-2024, 05:15 AM

Just to let you know I'm trying the Rhubarb Crunch recipe today for tomorrow's dessert. Picked some rhubarb early this morning in a misty sort of weather we're having here in Iowa. Have some frozen strawberries from last year's crop to add to them. WIll let you know how it turns out. I'm still trying to dry off right now before I get to making it. I always make a little one for my neighbor over in the condos behind me as he's my test taster plus he's never had rhubarb so this should be interesting as I'm not telling him what's in the dessert.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:33 AM

I like to make this Rhubarb Salsa. I blanch rhubarb for a few seconds in the microwave rather than in boiling water. I also cut down on the brown sugar as a personal preference. It is good with tortilla chips or with pork and chicken.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...rhubarb-salsa/
Old 05-06-2024, 05:42 AM

Thanks for those recipes. I want to try them. Now...how do you grow rhubarb? I've never tried to grow it before and we don't have it in our stores...ever.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:09 AM

Check which varieties grow in California. My friend in Missouri can't get it to grow but she also has a lot of clay in her soil. Here in northern Minnesota it is hardy. My sister has a patch in her garden that was put in by my grandfather around 1950. Yep, it is still growing. I have a patch in my yard that was started about 30 years ago. I just dug a hole in my yard and plopped the plant in. I had to clear the grass and weeds around it for the first couple of years and it was pretty spindly. Then it took off. It does not spread too fast. We have never divided our plants but I think that can be done. I read somewhere it actually does better in poor soil but I guess that is as long as it is soil not clay. It goes fast in the spring, then it goes to seed, then it dies back towards the end of summer around here. I just cover it a bit with fall leaves towards winter and it does fine. Again, we can get 6 months of winter up here and it seldom gets to 90 during the summer.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:46 AM

I tried the Rhubarb Crunch last weekend and had issues. It tasted great as I also added some frozen strawberries and used the juice from them for the water in the recipe. Problem was when it came time to get it out of the dish. The recipe says not to grease the pan so I didn't and it was like trying to chisel it out, very difficult to almost impossible. I think next time I'll forego the bottom crunch and just put it all or most of it on top. I'm going to hate to have to clean that dish.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Check which varieties grow in California. My friend in Missouri can't get it to grow but she also has a lot of clay in her soil. Here in northern Minnesota it is hardy. My sister has a patch in her garden that was put in by my grandfather around 1950. Yep, it is still growing. I have a patch in my yard that was started about 30 years ago. I just dug a hole in my yard and plopped the plant in. I had to clear the grass and weeds around it for the first couple of years and it was pretty spindly. Then it took off. It does not spread too fast. We have never divided our plants but I think that can be done. I read somewhere it actually does better in poor soil but I guess that is as long as it is soil not clay. It goes fast in the spring, then it goes to seed, then it dies back towards the end of summer around here. I just cover it a bit with fall leaves towards winter and it does fine. Again, we can get 6 months of winter up here and it seldom gets to 90 during the summer.
Thanks. I'm putting it on my list of Fall plants to order. We do have a lot of clay, but I can amend the soil in a patch. Does it like full sun? Shade?