Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Major craft supply store in central MN closing >

Major craft supply store in central MN closing

Major craft supply store in central MN closing

Old 04-13-2024, 11:06 AM

Default Major craft supply store in central MN closing

I just found out that the family-owned Crafts Direct in Waite Park, MN is closing it's doors. I have done business with them for decades and will be sorry to see them go. They carried large inventories in all types of arts and crafts, yarn and a large fabric section of quality fabrics at reasonable prices. Their paper crafting department was massive and diverse. If they didn't carry something, it probably wasn't available anywhere else either. It is a beautiful store with wonderful employees that are helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. It is going to be missed by all kinds of creative people who saw it as a destination shop and valuable supply source. Their sale starts next week.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:46 AM

That is so sad. We can relate. Here is So. Cal. we are losing the retail store Cozy Quilts. It doesn't have the different crafts but is a major quilting center here in San Diego County and definitely will be missed.
We had another local craft store in Chula Vista that closed years ago, and it had classes and supplies. So much fun to go and shop - talk to the employees and other customers. Then Lee Wards closed - it's just not the same. We have Michaelr's and Joann's - wonder how much longer they will be around.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:04 AM

The local quilt shop in the town I live in, Homestead Quilts, closed its doors and went to online only from what I gather. I rarely went in there, mainly because the prices were a bit high for my tastes. The Ladies who worked there were absolutely charming and easy to have a conversation with. It must have been a slow transition one, one day I drove by and they were closed down.

The building is a cool old building wood framed, real wood floors and walls something out of an old western movie. There are a few building like that in this town. The quilt shop building as well as two more older buildings are slated to be torn down to put in a Walgreens, Auto Zone and a Starbucks. I believe the quilt shop building is a historical building but no entirely sure. It would be a shame to tear down such a building for an auto parts business when we have 2 such places in town already.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:47 PM

I love Crafts Direct! Do you have any info on when it is closing?
Old 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by laurilli View Post
I love Crafts Direct! Do you have any info on when it is closing?
The sale has already started with 15% off everything and some items up to 50% off. They will be charging 3.5% for credit card purchases. The notice that I got did not have a specific closing date, I suppose it will depend on how fast their merchandise sells out. I live 150 miles from there, but I hope to get there soon for some basics.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:11 PM

I am with you on that! I probably live that far myself, but I am going to try to get there. Thanks for the info.