Fabric Moratorium 2024

Old 03-27-2024, 03:32 AM

Nipped into Joannes on a road trip to use their bathroom and two pieces from the clearance rack came home with me. One went into a backing for a PL quilt (already done) and another piece is going to be a whole cloth with fleece backing. $8 for both. So...sorry not sorry.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:22 AM

I just love visiting Quilt shops and looking at all the quilts, etc. so the only way I can de-stash my fabric is to stay away from quilt shops and that hurts.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:52 AM

Decided it was time to tdidy up the fab on shelves. What Imess I have created. Found fab I didn'd know I had. Got a lidded plastiic tdub and started filling it up. ( may need another tub) Will bring it to Project Llnus meeting for the gals to Grab N Go! If I haven't use this stuff buy now, I probably won't.
Rules I'm following:
  • Handle it once,
  • Hold for only10 seconds.
  • It's too late to use it for a future project.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
I just love visiting Quilt shops and looking at all the quilts, etc. so the only way I can de-stash my fabric is to stay away from quilt shops and that hurts.
When I went to retrieve my machine, I spent more time looking at the quilts than anything yet I still came away with 4 yards of purple fabric. Back on the wagon again.
Currently working on two projects. A disappearing four patch and a cathedral windows so I'm back to using rather than buying fabric.😁
Old 04-10-2024, 04:46 PM

Good for you, elly66. Back on the wagon, snuggled in among friends all stitching away from our stashes. Show us how you use that beautiful purple fabric.

I jumped off too the end of March, but the total purchase was for a baby quilt for a special family baby arriving in May. I think I have enough fabric for at least two quilts from that purchase and perhaps three if I add a little extra from my stash. Oh, and part of the purchase is for a backing. All is well, without any guilt. Keep stitching and shopping from your stash!

Old 04-11-2024, 07:06 AM

I've been doing good on my fabric buying, still getting a monthly "small" amount of Civil War colors I need for a variety of projects. I admitting to doing this early in the year. Thinking maybe this year's Bonnie Hunter may also use these fabrics. There is a fabric store I love about an hour away and it has a really great deal if you buy $15 worth a month for 10 months you get a $30 credit. The prices are low as they are and sale items count in the month totals. Her backs sell for 12-14-16/yard for current fabrics and I am planning on using the credit for a back. I am further justifying my purchases that I am sharing with another person on the boards....

However, looks like I have locked in on a used Long Arm for sale that dwarfs my fabric budget

Otherwise I am still working away on my current project which I am calling "Tropical Eclipse: Eye Protection Necessary" it is one of the fun projects I am doing for me from Hawaiian prints I got at the thrift stores etc. The fabrics are nice sturdy clothing weight bark cloth (mostly cotton) and some textured but slippery poly/blends. While I am not enjoying the slippery blends, I am enjoying this block a lot and am writing up some directions/measurements. Is perfect for jellyroll sized WoF ctus. Should have some pictures of my happy but glaring blocks and a set of less distracting mockups for the directions next week.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:31 AM

Hi everyone!

I know I've been unforgivably quiet on this thread for the last month and am still not quite ready to share anything exciting but wanted to pop in and say thanks for all of the stories and celebrations and slip-ups and recoveries and pictures and ideas! Even when I've been away from the board for a while, this thread feels like home. :-)

I also do have a bit of a confession to make - while I've been quite good about not actually buying any fabric, I have slipped up a couple of times at the guild's free table. I don't know why I even walk over there because I have so many projects and things on the go right now (in quilting and other areas - it is garden season, after all) that I know I don't plan on starting anything soon with what I pick up. I blame the little voice in my head that says, "Maybe someone has dropped off some neutrals..." The silver linings to this are that picking up these little bags of scraps (I rarely take anything big and these are often clearly leftovers and offcuts from bigger projects) makes me think that it's helping to keep them out of the garbage and it allows me to avoid the guilt that comes from actually purchasing fabric I don't need.

So I'm going to picture myself as a loyal carriage dog, running along beside (or under) the wagon - still keeping up with the group but not quite a member in good standing at present! Woof! :-)
Old 04-19-2024, 10:40 AM

Gemm. Jump right back on. We do the best we can. It could be worse.

At retreat there was door prize and 6.5” squares for games. Yea for me! They never made it to stash shelves. Flimsy’s done and donated. Pics on phone.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:24 PM

Wow, Pet - that's impressive! Looking forward to seeing the pictures! :-)
Old 04-19-2024, 06:00 PM

On and off the wagon all week while trying to find the "right" fabric to finish a baby quilt for a special great niece or nephew. I think I have it all in hand now. Picture of flimsy by Sunday evening, fingers crossed. Then I will be working on the back. Mostly what to do to creatively stretch a 43" wide fabric to be the back of a 53" top. The silly thing just kept growing. Lots of thinking to be done this weekend.

The really good part is I will be using most of the fabric, so will not have leftovers to bury in my stash. Maybe enough for a 36 - 40 Inch square baby quilt for someone else. I will think about that another time.