What is this foot used for?

Old 04-18-2024, 06:17 AM

Default What is this foot used for?

I recently acquired a 1929 Singer with all the attachments. It needs rewiring, cleaning and a new belt. Two of the included foot attachments I am unfamiliar with. Can anyone identify them for me?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	resizesinger foot.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	648363   Click image for larger version

Name:	vintagesinger.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	648364  
Old 04-18-2024, 06:57 AM

the first one is a Singer Tuck or Tucker marker attachment, there are a number of youtubes how to use it. the second is a hemmer attachment. Have fun with your new machine!
Old 04-18-2024, 07:15 AM

Thank you as I didn't know where to start as the booklet that came with it did not list any of the accessories.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:23 AM

The instructions for the adjustable hemmer can be found at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...page=14#manual and the tuckmarker instructions start at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...page=17#manual. There were several slightly different tuckmarkers made so if you look for videos, make sure it looks like yours.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the quick responses. The cord it came with is brittle so plugged it in the garage and it does work. The owner said it was his mother's so he was able to give me all the booklets and parts.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:41 AM

pdf copies are widely available on the web, and if you want to use the attachments a good general sewing machine foot book is a valuable item for your library. they haven't changed much over the last 100 years.
When I had ventage singers, if thei didn't come with the original manual, I hunted ebay until I found one
enjoy!
Old 04-19-2024, 12:44 PM

thanks for the response. I have the original manual and it lists the included attachments but these 2 must have been bought special.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ddrn View Post
thanks for the response. I have the original manual and it lists the included attachments but these 2 must have been bought special.
Did the attachments come in a green cardboard box and does it have a number on it? It could be set 120359 or 120607 if it had the ruffler. The manual that I linked to for instructions is dated 1929. Also the price lists that I have seen for the early 66s would have come with the adjustable hemmer and tucker. There would have been a different set number if you wanted to add a ruffler, but still would have the hemmer & tucker.